Tuesday, November 16, 2010

a new adventure

I think my house may be a little broken from all the after shocks.

We had some doozy high 4. earthquakes over the weekend and I noticed that one end of the lounge sounded different to the rest of the house during one of the earthquakes. I had already noticed that the deck edging is separating from the main part of the deck and the crack in the lounge wall has widened but when there is a crack across the window sill you know a pile is heading a direction it isn't meant to.


We'll see what the EQC has to say.
But life goes on and tonight here is a stop and smell the roses moment.
On the way back from Blenhiem a couple of weekends ago
Ali and I were driving back and on the north side of Kaikoura
by quite a way but that coast is epic so this as close to directions as I can do
there is a 'place' called Wharanui
and a little church called
St Oswalds
This little church is a place I've driven past so many times
and wondered what it's story is.
(I think 'and' is my favourite word)
In 1927 Mr and Mrs C.F. Murray built the church
as a memorial for their second son
Charles Hector Heaton Murray
no doubt they called him Hec - ok probably not, but we will.
Hec died in Geneva in 1924 when he was only 20 years old.
Hmm it doesn't say what of .....
I know you just asked that question!

I love the view across the paddocks to the sea,

I love the cabbage trees,

I just love cabbage trees, a lot.

Inside St Oswald's there are narrow stairs that lead to the loft

these are quite hard to walk down, scary hard.

Very steep and there is no hand rail but I survived because I'm tough and fearless and roar "I will not be defeated by steep, narrow steps!"

There were these simple pews that were surprisingly delightful, absolutely delightful..

There's something peaceful about well worn pews in a snug.

So make sure you stop at St Oswalds on your way past, it's on state highway 1 and you can't miss it. It is a beautiful little church all by it's self on the side of the road after all.

Take the time to smell the roses

Figuratively because there are no roses at St Oswalds and I don't think cabbage trees have an aroma.

Stop at places you always mean to but don't.

And if you want a really cute place to get married St Oswald's is available, call Laura and Leicester Murray on 03 329 6482

2 comments:

  1. Cabbage trees are fab!

    I always think (as we 'fly' past somewhere I'd like to stop) that when we're retired we'll stop and check that out.....maybe, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work blogging this. This was a truely awesome place and it only took me 15 years of driving passed to stop. It was incredible. I may just steal the pictures, did you get one of the outside without that hot mama in it?
    - Ali

    ReplyDelete