Thursday, November 24, 2011

hairdressers and other danger zones

Seriously,
I think I can speak on behalf of most women
when I say
we like our hairdresser.
Otherwise why would we go?

My first favourite hairdresser was gifted.
Alex, who for some reason I think was from Alexandra,
was just fantastic.
She even saved me from a horrible disloyal lopsided haircut
I got from some hideous, newby hairdresser who worked in a salon
I should have known would be dodgy as.
I was in the middle of a "my hair is too thick! Get it off my neck" moment
in the middle of summer.  

Then there was the hairdresser whose salon was purple.
She was magic.
Her instruction to new hair washing assistants
was that the head massage should be orgasmic,
not like an actual orgasm cause that would be awkward
but that they should make your scalp feel awesome.
Though to be fair for woman a good head massage in the morning
would lead to a highly successful evening for some man.
Good lead in time.

Then there was Andreas from Mexico.
Oh he was gooooood.
The perfect cut for my face shape,
the perfect colour,
and the charm and flattery that oozed from that man!
And then he disappeared.
I blame the drug cartels.

Now I have Sarah
who is sweet and lovely.
Doesn't quite understand my hair yet,
as in she wants me to STRAIGHTEN it.
The caps are because I have wavy, curly chin length hair
and I don't suit straightened hair. 
So yesterday we had a wee chat about how I hate flicky hair
and how I suspected that now Farah Fawcett
(Mags always adds Major)
is dead that her hairstyle is looking to be channelled
through my hair.

I warned Sarah that my fringe 
(bangs for Americans, which by the way is totally weird)
would flick up while she was razoring  away.
She said it wouldn't.
I got back to work and
with in 10 minutes Tinky was asking
what the hell happened to my head.

Kimba pinned the flickyness down with a paper clip.
The flicky fringe fought back
and slowly took over the left side of my head.

It only gets worse.

This morning I woke up to my hair exploding from my head.
I brushed it out and it looked like Queenie's hair Blackadder.

So Sarah has won and I've straightened my hair.

I feel blessed to have had plenty of really
great, passionate hairdressers in my lifetime.
We underestimate just how important they are,
and how much information they keep on each of us....

And as a footnote to this hairdresser story,
I was just talking to a woman from a similar group to Young Farmers
but much older and focused on a completely different area,
so not really like Young Farmers at all.
But we were talking about the Rural Business Network
and she was asking about how inclusive
or exclusive the RBN will be
because everyone
(not me)
is a little suspicious of consultants and accountants etc
being involved with the RBN.
I explained like above,
why do you go to your hairdresser?
Yes because they are good at doing hair
but more because you enjoy chatting to them
and if you didn't like them you wouldn't use their services.
Same for the rural service industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment