Friday, March 2, 2012

What the heck?

How the heck have we got to March so fast?

Why hasn't summer happened?
Why is there snow on the mountains already?
What's happening to the world for goodness sakes!

Well here's whats been happening in my world.

Firstly, the Boss has vacated the country.
He's been gone a week and will be away
a large chunk of this year doing his Nuffield Scholarship.
Lucky for us he's started a blog

Once the Boss was gone I was thinking
it'd be a stress free environment
and it is.
Except for all the other things in my life.

Last Saturday was Mormon Helping Hands day
in New Zealand.

As Stake Public Affairs Director
it's my job to organise this service project.
This year was super hard cause
in Christchurch the earthquake damage means
everything,
I mean EVERYTHING is on hold.

It's either red stickered for demo or
waiting for insurance to pay out
so not too many big service projects around.
But I had a wee prayer about it all
and that day Nicky Wagner txted to say try
Rebuild Canterbury Foundation
and lo and behold
(technical term for look!)
rebuild Christchurch were having a Let's Get It Done day
on... the... very... same .... day... as ... Helping Hands!

Now that's a faith building experience.

So I hooked up with Anthea and Deon
and they did all the organising and I brought all the people
well a third of people in the end
but I brought 100 people
and we got 90 jobs done.

Things like digging liquefaction from people's gardens and driveways (still),
planted 1000 trees at St Albans Primary School,
helped pack up people's houses so they could move out to let the builders in,
took away a few tonnes of silt, weeds, earthquakes broken junk,
cleaned out sheds and garages,
took down a chimney or two
(shh! We aren't meant to do that, it's very dangerous)
and spent lots of Rebuild Christchurch's moolah on dump fees.

Phew that was eight long hours and a dose of sunburn to boot.

Sunday wasn't much better with
teaching Relief Society which I enjoy but
it's taking some getting used to teaching the Chapel Proper.
Then hurry home to lunch with visiting family on their way south.
Then onto a plane at 530 to go to Wellington.
Have dinner with Jordy
( and enjoyed myself with very interesting conversation
and a good piece of steak)

Then up at 6am to write my speech for a keynote
at 930am for the Farm Consultants.

I was going to do a flash as power point with images
and well images but
instead I whiteboarded because
I was talking about how to build networks,
because I'm the NZYF Network Manager.
I'm sure people think I work with computers!

It's all about people I say.

People volunteering to help others,
people helping each other understand,
people sharing food and family stories,
people offering situmulating conversation,
people listening to my crazy stories
and
people who are kind and generous.

That's me!

No comments:

Post a Comment