Thursday, June 28, 2012

back in the day

I worked in politics.
It was an odd choice of career
but I loved it
until it exhausted me
which is why you find
endlessly energetic boys and
older women who know how to say NO
work for MPs and political parties.

I was the odd one out.
Being neither a boy nor an older woman.

When I started out working for the ACT party
I was probably a young classic liberal
by the time I left five years later,
I'd rushed through being a Libertarian


on my way to being an anarchist.

Being close to politics tends to make you a tad extreme.

Many people are suspicious of politics
which is silly really cause politics is all around us,
a bit like love.
Quite rightly, most people are suspicious of the politicians themselves.

You'd be surprised at the camaraderie politicians have with each other,
across the House mostly.
I mean it's edged with a healthy dose of cynicism
but it's based in the respect of the job,
cause being a politician is a job, not a calling.
Actually it's not that common
cause politics is a game and it's all about playing it.

I've learned to be slightly suspicious of people
who really, really want to Members of Parliament.
They'll either do what they have to to get there
or be there for the 'people' and get eaten alive before they know it.
And of course the multitudes of grey in between.

They are only human
and as humans we all have the best of motivations
in doing what we do.
That's another grey area the 'best' bit.
Best for who? for what? for when?

Anyway lately I've been missed the
passionate cut and thrust of politics.
Oh maybe I'm just missing being passionate about something.
Checking over your shoulder for knifes is seldom fun.
Lobbing them is a little bit funner.
Maybe I need a good, old fashioned barney.
Or a holiday.

P.S. ACT is not the party it was nor has it been for a very long time but New Zealand needs another conservative party - like a hole in the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment