Saturday, February 6, 2010

Waitangi Day

What is this malarkey about Waitangi Day being New Zealand's national day?
I know it is officially but I see it as a day when there is a festival at Paihia/Waitangi, something that happens in Northland and is really remote from anything to do with me.
Especially this (and next) Waitangi Day falls on the weekend - not even a day off!
So remind me why I should observe Waitangi Day?
While we are on the topic of the Treaty...
It was good to hear Sandra Lee-Vercoe, she used to be a radical Maori MP and is still a radical but not an MP. She was saying that the Maori seats in parliament
(deliberate lower cap on the 'p') are designed to marginalise Maori, and I totally agree.
If you are on the Maori electoral role your choices are limited in representation. Not so much in the electoral process as most seats only have 7 or 8 standing but Maori seats typically have fewer standing than your average seat because main parties don't bother. Plus attention paid to those who are elected in those seats are often the sole Maori voice within a larger party, with the exception of those elected from the Maori party (yes New Zealand does have apartheid, historical and modern).
So by having Maori seats a portion of the population are marginalised.
Affirmative action seldom works, no matter how long it has been going.
Anyhoo let's just make the Sevens our national celebration. That suits us better, starts at lunchtime, goes til late, involves dressing up in crazy costumes and sitting in the sun.
That works don't you think?

1 comment:

  1. Aha. I think I need to observe a little more on Kiwi politics to make me qualified to comment! I hear you though. I just need to learn a little more about the treaty etc etc etc. I've only been living here for 3 years, but I'm learning very slowly. As for the sevens, I'm not a rugby fan. Roll on the World Cup; cheering for Scotland and All Whites - as long as they don't end up playing in the final ;)

    ReplyDelete