Monday, April 16, 2012

Nat Com and Social Media

I have no idea why I gave social media caps there in the title.

It's been National Committee meeting again this past weekend.

I flew to Wellington from Nelson on Thursday evening

Over the Marlborough Sounds to the big city.
I swear I am allergic to cities.
Friday morning I walked from my hotel to the supermarket
my eyes started weeping,
my head started getting stuffy,
and I realised I am allergic to the city.

I realise this often.
As often as I forget it.

These are some of the National Committee members.
Spud is hiding behind the camera cause he is a sook.
Some of my favourite people are in this photo.
And some are not in it.

Ok so at Nat Com we discuss and build strategy for the
Young Farmer organisation.
This weekend we discussed and organised
a heaps of committees.
It was Young Farmers old school styles.

The important things to know about Nat Com are;
  1. We have three meetings a year,
  2. Regional Chairs and one Vice Chair from each Region attend - that's 14 people.
  3. Nat Com is the engine room of the Young Farmers organisation.
  4. Nat Com is currently lead by Nessie.
  5. There's a fines session last thing on the last day.
  6. There are guest speakers.
  7. It's pretty hard work.
  8. I made sure there is lots of food and the attendees make sure there is lots of beer.
  9. And then they drink copious amounts of it.
  10. There is seldom any beer left after Nat Com.
  11. If for any reason relating to alcohol you are unable to function during a Nat Com meeting you have to pay your airfare and accommodation costs back,
  12. This has happened only once.


This Nat Com was a really busy and successful one.
We have had a few duds in the past.
This one got a fair bit decided and confirmed.
Then we went out to dinner to Cafe Istanbul
where Scotty (forefront above) and Spud (is a photophobe)
had fish and chips instead of yummy Turkish food.
And beer was consumed.

On Sunday we had Tom Phillips come along and
talk to us about social media.
Tom is my best favourite blogger that I ever met in person.
Ok he is only the third real life blogger I've met in person.
It was a good interactive session and now!
And now!
We have a couple more Young Farmer members tweeting.
That's pretty darn exciting.

Sunday night I flew back to Nelson,
drove to Leeston,
fell into bed
then bounced out of bed at 6am,
went to work in Methven
and then drove up to Christchurch to fly to Wellington
that I'd only left less than 24 hours before.

Tomorrow I'll be telling the TBfree New Zealand Board
all about this social media malarky
and a fair bit about what NZYF has been up to
and what we spend their sponsorship money on.

Now I just have go to sleep then wake up nice and early to get that sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment