Friday, November 11, 2011

Show Day!

And I stayed in bed.

Let's put this into perspective.
I have a relatively easy life.
I was born into a nice white, middle class family.
For most of my childhood I had two parents
not that they co-parented much.
I have a younger brother who got into lots of thoughtless trouble
so once he was about 8
I could get away with most things.
Before that I got smacked for things not of my doing and otherwise.
I have a very much adored cute little sister.
I had a good school on offer around the corner from my house.
My home sat on a 1/4 acre section,
I had my own bedroom,
a bike,
there was always a cat and trees to climb.

I had friends who I played, with a lot.
I got a summer job when I was 12
and have always had a job ever since.
I lived a safe, happy, free, hard working life.

So here's the question...
Why is it that I feel bad if I lie in bed most of the day and
read good books,
watching interesting TED talks,
edited and suggest on a friend's research project
(due Monday).

I live a life of relative luxury
for which I count my blessings.
I have enough of most things.
I have a stimulating and interesting job
that allows to me to meet motivated and fascinating people
takes to places I would not have gone otherwise.
I have free time,
my own home.
I appreciate what I have.
I am involved in my community,
I have lots of friends.
I teach Sunday School once a month.
And even my day in bed was still busy...
let me rephrase that.
And even my day in bed was ...
ok specifically I think it's that I stayed in bed.
I worked, I learnt and I read.

Maybe the question actually is....
Why do I feel guilty for appearing to have had a lazy day?
Why don't I appreciate things that I've done today?
Why do I deny myself things that aren't even treats?
Why do I think sleeping is the exclusive domain of darkness?
Why do I think that I don't need to sleep?
That was more than one.
Last one...
how come if I were a guy I would have little problem
sleeping in cause I was tired,
watching programmes all day cause I wanted to,
helping a mate out cause he asked me to,
why?

This turned out a little more bleaty than I planned.
Sorry about that.
Geez there I go again!

This has nothing to do with Show Day.
I have never been to the Canterbury Show
cause frankly I'd rather stay in bed...
and feel guilty about it.
 I will now go and clean my pantry
cause we haven't had an earthquake to throw everything out lately
so it's got a little messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment